Nir Eyal (@nireyal) helps teams design more engaging products as demonstrated in his book Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products, and shows us how we can break away from the distraction of this engagement if it’s not serving us.
What We Discuss with Nir Eyal:
- The never-ending struggle between traction and distraction.
- How variable rewards are used to keep you glued to social media like B.F. Skinner’s lab pigeons.
- How to ensure you’re moving closer to your goals even if your daily activities include what might, on the surface, seem like tangents.
- Triggers that cause you to lose your way and how to program your environment to avoid and mitigate these triggers.
- Why you’re not really addicted to technology — and why it’s dangerous to say you are.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
A constant barrage of digital distraction can make it hard to focus in the 21st century. Staying on top of social media, ostensibly designed to make communication with our family, friends, and colleagues more convenient, can sometimes feel like a second job — and our investment in this engagement is cultivated by careful design.
Nir Eyal, the author of Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products and the upcoming Indistractible, understands the psychology behind this design and explains how we can focus on acts of traction rather than distraction to use technology on our own terms. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Are you trying to hire the right person for your business, but the best candidates keep slipping away? Let ZipRecruiter — the fastest way to hire great people — help you screen only the best at ziprecruiter.com/jordan!
Rocket Mortgage by Quicken Loans. Apply simply. Understand fully. Mortgage confidently. To get started, go to RocketMortgage.com/FORBES!
With so much to look after when you’re working with a team, wouldn’t it be great if there was just one place to look? Microsoft Teams is a digital workspace where teams can create, collaborate, and communicate authentically in Office 365. Visit office.com/teams to learn more!
THANKS, NIR EYAL!
If you enjoyed this session with Nir Eyal, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Resources from This Episode:
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products by Nir Eyal and Ryan Hoover
- Nir and Far: A Blog About Behavior Engineering
- Nir Eyal at Twitter
- Tech Overuse at Work Is a Symptom. Your Culture Is the Disease by Jory MacKay with Nir Eyal, RescueTime Blog
- Why You’re Not “Addicted” to Technology (and It’s Dangerous to Say So) by Jory MacKay with Nir Eyal, RescueTime Blog
- Self Control