What We Discuss with Brian Rose:
- The epiphany Brian had at the height of his “success” that made him step away and start from scratch.
- Why it’s important to regularly question our dogmas and deconstruct our entrenched beliefs.
- The power of vulnerability and honesty.
- What to do when you find your past holding you back.
- Brian’s Pull the Trigger Transformation System of goals, actions, and mentorship that will get you off your couch and racing (in his case, quite literally) toward serious achievement.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
What do you do if you’re one of the world’s rarest and luckiest people who realizes your dreams and gets to enjoy the fruits of all life’s labors before shuffling off this mortal coil? You can express gratitude to the mixture of hard work and planetary alignment that led to the moment of realizing this good fortune, or you can look around you and wistfully wonder, as Peggy Lee and countless others have, “Is that all there is?”
In this episode, we talk to London Real host Brian Rose about the epiphany he had when he was an investment banker hanging out in Richard Branson’s Swiss chalet, why he left a comfortable life making millions of dollars to instead inspire and transform millions of people, and the transformative system he uses to keep achieving the goals that make him happy — like completing an ironman triathlon at age 47. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
TurboTax, QuickBooks, and Mint are giant solutions that give you the power to prosper! Learn how to optimize your finances before tax time at intuit.com!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Save up to a whopping 62% on new webhosting packages with HostGator at hostgator.com/jordan!
Need custom graphics, logos, or Web design? Access a community of 600,000+ designers by registering at designcrowd.com/jordan and enjoy up to $100 off with The Jordan Harbinger Show bonus offer!
UNTUCKit makes casual shirts that are designed to be worn comfortably on the outside of your waistband without looking sloppy. Go to untuckit.com or visit one of the 50 stores across the US and Canada and use promo code JORDAN at checkout for 20 percent off your first purchase!
More About This Show
Brian Rose’s trajectory has always been ambitious, but no dependable algorithm would have predicted its path thus far. He was the kind of kid who won prizes for science projects and made a little cash on the side selling candy on the bus. Seemingly destined for a bright future in science, he studied mechanical engineering at MIT.
So of course he became a banker.
“I was on track, but I looked at the guys at Ford,” says Brian. “I’m like, ‘You’re 45 years old, you’re making 60 grand a year, and you just look like you’re dead.’ And I just didn’t want to be that guy. And then I saw the movie Wall Street in college and all of a sudden I was like, ‘Wow. This is exciting.’ And it’s also kind of like engineering because you can see results right away and you can test these theories and there’s math behind it.”
Brian started taking classes in options theory at the Sloan School of Management, and noticed his background gave him a distinct advantage over classmates who didn’t understand calculus. He was sold on the idea that Wall Street was his golden ticket, and off he went.
For a while, he loved the ride. But it took its toll.
“You can really go down the rabbit hole,” says Brian. “I went down that road of ‘Let’s party a lot and let’s try to get as rich as possible.’ Nothing else really matters. And I found myself not being very happy.”
Brian had grown up, as many do, to believe that chasing the American Dream and having more money than he knew what to do with would equal fulfillment. But the more he chased it, the worse he felt. His human soul suffered without respite in sight, and his rational engineering brain only goaded him along by telling him to ‘complete the loop’ he had in progress. Over the course of his ambitious life, persistence had always been the way forward. But in this case, it was just spinning his wheels deeper into the mire.
“It took me a long time to say, ‘You’ve got to try something different to find that happiness,'” Brian says.
Listen to this episode in its entirety to learn more about the epiphany that broke Brian out of his self-perpetuating loop of misery, why we need to reexamine the short-term dogmas we hold that enthrall us well past their long-term expiration dates, how we can identify these dogmas and what we should do to dismantle the ones that no longer help us, why Brian decided upon entering the creative space rather than pursuing something else more aligned with his scientific background, the most effective of Brian’s 24 high performance habits, and much more!
THANKS, BRIAN ROSE!
If you enjoyed this session with Brian Rose, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Resources from This Episode:
- London Real
- London Real at Facebook
- London Real at Twitter
- London Real at Instagram
- Why I Left Millions in Banking to Inspire Millions Online by Brian Rose, TEDxClapham
- Wall Street
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- Transcendental Meditation
- Dorian Yates: Into The Shadow, London Real
- Tim Ferriss: The 4 Hour Phenomenon, London Real
- Vipassana Meditation
- Fight Club
- Wolf of Wall Street
- 9/11: The Day of the Attacks by Alan Taylor, The Atlantic
- John Joseph: Meat Is For Pussies, London Real
- Let’s Quit Abusing Drug Users by Carl Hart, TEDMED
- Dr. Carl Hart: Debunking Drug Myths, London Real
- TJHS 108: James Clear | Forming Atomic Habits for Astronomic Results
- Ido Portal: A Moving Conversation, London Real
- Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee
- Headspace: Meditation and Sleep Made Simple
- Ironmind: The Movie
- Steven Pressfield: Overcoming Resistance, Positively Positive
- Ross Edgley: Success Secrets, London Real
- Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy by Miyamoto Musashi
- The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
- Jocko Willink: Extreme Ownership, London Real
- Dan Pena:The $50 Billion Man, London Real
- Dissolution, London Real
- Ayahuasca: Ready To Die, London Real
- Shep Gordon: Supermensch, London Real