Yasmine Mohammed (@yasmohammedxx) is a human rights activist who advocates for the rights of women living within Muslim-majority countries, as well as those who struggle under religious fundamentalism in general. She is the founder of Free Hearts Free Minds and the author of Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam. [This is part one of a two-part episode. You can find part two here!]
What We Discuss with Yasmine Mohammed:
- Why curtailing expression in free societies is the worst possible response to threats made by religious fundamentalists.
- How the same religious text that serves to inspire millions gets interpreted by extremists to justify gruesome acts of terrorism and tyranny.
- How fundamentalist scofflaws abuse the tolerance and goodwill of free societies to drain resources and establish footholds conducive to their extremist ideologies.
- Yasmine shares her story of growing up in a subordinate family of a religiously justified polygynous household — not in some remote, developing nation, but Canada.
- The dangers that women and secular-minded members of a society run by religious extremists face, and why such societies need to be challenged rather than given a free pass to continue their oppression for fear of offending the people in charge and their enablers — often the oppressed, themselves.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Ideally, respect for the disparate populations that go into the cultural melting pot of Western society enables us, as a whole, to benefit from the diversity of the human experience and appreciate a kaleidoscopic perspective of the world. Unfortunately, there will always be segments of the populace who reject multiculturalism and work hard to enforce their narrow religious fundamentalist views on the rest of us — woe to unbelievers and those deemed “less-than” by an uncompromising interpretation of a guidebook penned in antiquity that mandates their oppression.
In this episode, we’re joined by Yasmine Mohammed, founder of Free Hearts Free Minds — an organization that provides mental health support for members of the LGBT community and freethinkers living within Muslim-majority countries (where both ‘crimes’ can be punished by execution) — and the author of Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam. Here, she shares stories of her upbringing in a subordinate family of a religiously justified polygynous household in Canada, why curtailing expression in free societies is the worst possible response to threats made by religious fundamentalists, how fundamentalist scofflaws abuse the tolerance and goodwill of free societies to drain resources and establish footholds conducive to their extremist ideologies, the dangers that women and secular-minded members of a society run by religious extremists face, and why such societies need to be challenged rather than given a free pass to continue their oppression for fear of offending the people in charge and their enablers, and much more. [This is part one of a two-part episode. You can find part two here!]
Please Scroll Down for Featured Resources and Transcript!
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Jordan Harbinger Show receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you for your support!
This Episode Is Sponsored By:
- TextExpander: Get 20% off your first year
- Squarespace: Go to squarespace.com/jordan to save 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain
- HVMN: Go to HVMN.me/jordan for 20% off Ketone-IQ
Human Monsters is a true crime podcast about the cruel and the inhumane. These people specialize in the unthinkable. Not for the fainthearted. Listen here or wherever you find fine podcasts — if you dare!
Like true crime tales? The Court Junkie podcast shines a light on the injustices of the judicial system by delving into court documents, attending trials, and interviewing those close to these trials to root out the whole truth. Check out the Court Junkie podcast on PodcastOne here!
Thanks, Yasmine Mohammed!
If you enjoyed this session with Yasmine Mohammed, let her know by clicking on the link below and sending her a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Resources from This Episode:
- Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam by Yasmine Mohammed | Amazon
- Free Hearts Free Minds
- Yasmine Mohammed | Website
- Yasmine Mohammed | Twitter
- Yasmine Mohammed | Instagram
- Yasmine Mohammed | Facebook
- Sir Salman Rushdie Attack Suspect ‘Only Read Two Pages’ of Satanic Verses | BBC News
- Charlie Hebdo Attack: Three Days of Terror | BBC News
- Beheading of Teacher Exposes Secular Divide in French Classrooms | Reuters
- CLARITy (Champions for Liberty Against the Reality of Islamist Tyranny) Coalition | AHA Foundation
- History of Fatwas, from Early Islam to Salman Rushdie to the Digital Age | The Washington Post
- Explainer: What is Wahhabism in Saudi Arabia? | The Conversation
- Understanding Sharia: The Intersection of Islam and the Law | Council on Foreign Relations
- Saudi Woman Given 34-Year Prison Sentence for Using Twitter | The Guardian
- Muslim Population by Country 2022 | World Population Review
- Polygyny in Islam | Wikipedia
- In Focus: Women in Afghanistan One Year after the Taliban Takeover | UN Women
- ISIS Foreign Fighters: Why Do Foreigners Join the Caliphate? | Vision of Humanity
- Torture at Abu Ghraib | The New Yorker
- Muhammad in Islam | Wikipedia
- Leaving the Faith on Apple Podcasts
- Yasmine Mohammed: Leaving the Faith | Making Sense with Sam Harris
- Scale of FGM in Saudi Arabia Surprises Human Rights Advocates | Global Citizen
- The Real Story Behind the FBI’s Deadly Waco Siege | Time
- Teacher Still in Hiding a Year on after Prophet Muhammed Batley Grammar School Controversy | Wales Online
- Megan Phelps-Roper | Unfollowing Westboro Baptist Church Part One | Jordan Harbinger
- Megan Phelps-Roper | Unfollowing Westboro Baptist Church Part Two | Jordan Harbinger
- Islamic Golden Age | Wikipedia
Sign up to receive email updates
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.