Adam Savage (@donttrythis) is a special effects designer, educator, actor, former cohost of MythBusters, current host of Savage Builds (both on Discovery Channel), and author of Every Tool’s a Hammer: Life Is What You Make It.
What We Discuss with Adam Savage:
- What you have to gain by paying heed to your obsessions.
- The sublime benefits of real expertise.
- How deadlines spur action past the bottleneck of intended perfection.
- The universality of imposter syndrome.
- How an expanded vocabulary leads to unexplored solutions.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Like a lot of kids in the Midwest, Jordan had three hobbies growing up: building stuff, breaking stuff, and blowing stuff up. In a stroke of genius, Adam Savage — former cohost of the celebrated Discovery Channel’s MythBusters series and author of Every Tool’s a Hammer: Life Is What You Make It — managed to turn these three things into a wildly successful career.
In this episode, Adam and Jordan discuss why you’ll be happier and probably wind up in a career you actually like if you pay heed to your obsessions rather than being bullied out of them, the value of deadlines for everything from assembling costumes to building props to interviewing people for podcasts, why regular and honest introspection is one of the most important duties a human being can take on, the power of an expanded vocabulary, the universality of imposter syndrome, and much more. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Are you trying to hire the right person for your business, but the best candidates keep slipping away? Let ZipRecruiter — the fastest way to hire great people — help you screen only the best at ziprecruiter.com/jordan!
Explore Blue Diamond for all your almond product needs. From delicious almond nut snacks to gift baskets, they’ve got you covered at a store near you or at bluediamond.com!
THANKS, ADAM SAVAGE!
If you enjoyed this session with Adam Savage, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources from This Episode:
- Every Tool’s a Hammer: Life Is What You Make It by Adam Savage
- Savage Builds
- Adam Savage’s Tested
- Adam Savage at Instagram
- Adam Savage at Facebook
- Adam Savage at Twitter
- Charles Kimbrough, Wikipedia
- Adam’s Television Debut
- NYU Tisch School for the Arts
- Jamie Hyneman at Twitter
- Colossal Pictures
- Beach Blanket Babylon
- Mythbusters’ Adam Savage Remembers His Father’s Sesame Street Animations by Adam Savage, AV Club
- Adam Savage’s Knightly Comic-Con Cosplay Revealed: His Most Personal Yet by Mary Sollosi, Entertainment Weekly
- Robert Klein: Unfair & Unbalanced
- Welcome to Temple Grandin’s Official Autism Website
- Adam Interviews John Cleese, Commonwealth Club
- Chicago Screws
- Rumplestiltskin, Grimm’s Fairy Tales
- Deep Dive | How to Overcome Imposter Syndrome, TJHS 127
- The Comparing Mind, 10% Happier
- How the Scarcity Model Affects Business, Emotional Intelligence at Work
- Howard Stern, Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend #27
- Bob Vila Home Improvement, Home Repair, and Home Renovation
- The Glass Age, Part 1: Flexible, Bendable Glass, Corning Incorporated
- The Glass Age, Part 2: Strong, Durable Glass, Corning Incorporated
- The Mythbusters’ Long History of Accidents and Mishaps by Daniel Terdiman, CNET
- Iron Man
- Colorado School of Mines
- First Full Flight Test Of Real Life Iron Man Suit, Savage Builds