Dennis Rodman (@dennisrodman) (aka The Worm) is one of the greatest rebounders ever to play professional basketball, with five NBA championships under his belt. He’s arguably just as well-known for his off-court antics, and his resume includes stints as an author, an actor, a reality star, a wrestler, and an unofficial diplomat to North Korea.
[Featured photo by Ryan Hartford of Ecliptic Media]
What We Discuss with Dennis Rodman:
- How Dennis went from being a shy, neglected kid to a people-pleasing watch thief to a man who values independence and naysayer-defying personal expression above all else.
- Why the hustle of living as a homeless 19-year-old was more appealing than eating mustard sandwiches in the projects with his family.
- The volatile relationship Dennis has had with the media over the years, and how he decides who’s worthy of his trust (and who’s not) these days.
- Why, given his passing interest in basketball until a late growth spurt made him a contender, Dennis’ self-taught and unique approach to world-class rebounding is particularly surprising.
- Marrying himself, being an early ally to the LBGTQ community, the pros and cons of fame, and risky birthday toasts to Kim Jong-un in North Korea.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
With five NBA championships under his belt and a place in the Basketball Hall of Fame, Dennis Rodman is recognized as a one-of-a-kind rebounder with a unique, self-taught style and intuition that makes him one of the best players in the game. But even to people who don’t follow basketball, “The Worm” is one of the most recognizable celebrities in the world.
In this episode we talk to Dennis about his rough childhood, a people pleasing stunt in his youth that nearly cost him his freedom, being homeless at 19, the late growth spurt that put him on his long and colorful basketball career, being an early advocate of the LBGTQ community in a less enlightened decade, giving a risky toast to North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un, and much more. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Better Help offers affordable, online counseling at your convenience. If you’re coping with depression, stress, anxiety, addiction, or any number of issues, you’re not alone. Talk with a licensed professional therapist for 10 percent off your first month at betterhelp.com/jordan!
Eight Sleep is the first bed engineered with dynamic cooling and heating that keeps you at the perfect temperature all night long. Get $100 off your purchase when you go to EightSleep.com/jordan!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Save up to a whopping 62% on new webhosting packages with HostGator at hostgator.com/jordan!
Need custom graphics, logos, or Web design? Access a community of 600,000+ designers by registering at designcrowd.com/jordan and enjoy up to $100 off with The Jordan Harbinger Show bonus offer!
THANKS, DENNIS RODMAN!
If you enjoyed this session with Dennis Rodman, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Resources from This Episode:
- Bad as I Wanna Be by Dennis Rodman
- Dennis Rodman’s Website
- Dennis Rodman at Instagram
- Dennis Rodman at Facebook
- Dennis Rodman at Twitter
- Detroit Pistons
- Tel-Twelve Mall
- A Close Read of the Pimp Story Dave Chappelle Tells in The Bird Revelation, Vulture
- Pimp: The Story of My Life by Iceberg Slim
- Dennis Rodman: From Airport Janitor to Kim Jong-un’s Friend by Charles Ross, Medium
- Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
- What Is Almond Milk, and Is It Good or Bad for You? Healthline
- 6 Surprising Benefits of Camel Milk (And 3 Downsides), Healthline
- Isaiah Thomas at Twitter
- Dennis Rodman Cries After Winning Defensive Player of the Year, YouTube
- John Salley at Twitter
- Pearl Jam
- Darren Prince at Instagram
- Drop Zone
- San Antonio Spurs
- Demolition Man
- Icons? Symbolism? Dennis’ Hair? The Chicago Tribune
- As Gay as He Wants to Be / How Rodman’s Drag-Queen Style Plays in the Castro, SF Gate
- Dennis Rodman in a Wedding Dress, Love to Know
- Rodman-Madonna, NBC Sports
- Steven Tyler at Twitter
- 9 Takeaways from ESPN’s Dennis Rodman Documentary, including How Michael Jordan Thought Rodman Wouldn’t See Age 40, The Chicago Tribune
- The Chicago Bulls
- Dennis Rodman Meets His Father, Philander Rodman, After 42 Years of Separation, Yahoo! Sports
- Rodman: For Better or Worse, 30 for 30 4.24
- Dennis Rodman’s Big Bang in Pyongyang
- Dennis Rodman, Who Hangs with Trump and Kim, Says Korea Peace Deal ‘Could Still Work’, Reuters
- Kenneth Bae, Longest-Held U.S. Prisoner of North Korea, Reveals Details of Ordeal, The New York Times
- This White Kid Could Tell Bird about Rodman’s Brotherly Love, The Chicago Tribune
- A Long Way from Home, Sports on Earth
- Here’s How Dennis Rodman Broke His Penis Three Different Times, Vice