Dr. Jolene Brighten (@drbrighten) is a nutritional biochemist, a pioneer in women’s medicine, and the author of Beyond the Pill: A 30-Day Program to Balance Your Hormones, Reclaim Your Body, and Reverse the Dangerous Side Effects of the Birth Control Pill.
What We Discuss with Dr. Jolene Brighten:
- The pros and cons of using hormonal birth control.
- How the birth control pill can change who you’re attracted to and why there are higher instances of divorce when women go off the pill after getting married while on it.
- The problems that arise for all of us when scientifically accurate sex education isn’t mandated in every school.
- How the pill can mask symptoms of serious health problems — even infertility.
- What you can do to alleviate potential problems from using the pill, and when to know it’s time to switch doctors who don’t take your concerns seriously.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Since its introduction in the 1960s, the birth control pill has done more good than harm for the women of the world — but it’s not without its potential pitfalls, and its effects are more far-reaching than just preventing unwanted pregnancies. It can mask symptoms of serious health problems, it can disrupt your microbiome, and it might even dictate who you find attractive.
In this episode we talk to Dr. Jolene Brighten, author of Beyond the Pill: A 30-Day Program to Balance Your Hormones, Reclaim Your Body, and Reverse the Dangerous Side Effects of the Birth Control Pill. Even if you’re not a woman taking birth control pills — or even if you’re a man — there’s a lot of fascinating science here for everyone to take in. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Save up to a whopping 62% on new webhosting packages with HostGator at hostgator.com/jordan!
Mint Mobile took what’s wrong with wireless and made it right. No stores. No salespeople. Just huge, direct-to-you savings with plans as low as $15 a month. Find out how much you can start saving today at mintmobile.com/jordan!
Need custom graphics, logos, or Web design? Access a community of 600,000+ designers by registering at designcrowd.com/jordan and enjoy up to $100 off with The Jordan Harbinger Show bonus offer!
The Pitch is a Gimlet podcast hosted by Josh Muccio in which real entrepreneurs pitch to real investors — for real money. Each episode takes listeners behind closed doors to the critical moment when aspiring entrepreneurs put it all on the line. Check out The Pitch here, on Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts!
THANKS, DR. JOLENE BRIGHTEN!
If you enjoyed this session with Dr. Jolene Brighten, let her know by clicking on the link below and sending her a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Resources from This Episode:
- Beyond the Pill: A 30-Day Program to Balance Your Hormones, Reclaim Your Body, and Reverse the Dangerous Side Effects of the Birth Control Pill by Dr. Jolene Brighten
- Dr. Brighten’s Website
- Dr. Brighten at Instagram
- Dr. Brighten at Facebook
- Dr. Brighten at YouTube
- Jolene Brighten at Twitter
- How the Menstrual Cycle Works by Dr. Brighten
- Scientific American Addresses the Problem of Birth Control Suppressing Periods, Natural Womanhood
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Symptoms and Causes, The Mayo Clinic
- Endometriosis Symptoms and Causes, The Mayo Clinic
- Hypothyroidism Symptoms and Causes, The Mayo Clinic
- Treating PCOS Symptoms With The Pill, or — Even Better — Without by Dr. Brighten
- State Policies on Sex Education in Schools, NCSL
- What is Progesterone? Hormone Health Network
- Intrauterine Device (IUD) Birth Control, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Depo-Provera: How It Works, Side Effects, and More, Healthline
- Synthetic Estrogens 101, Clue
- The Danish Investigation on Iodine Intake and Thyroid Disease, DanThyr: Status and Perspectives, European Journal of Endocrinology
- Healing Hashimoto’s Hypothyroidism in Portland by Dr. Brighten
- Can Hormonal Birth Control Trigger Depression? Harvard Medical School
- Endocrine Disruptors, Cosmetics Info
- How Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals Cause Hormone Imbalance & What to Do About It by Dr. Brighten
- Birth Control Might Change Who Women Feel Attracted To, Vice
- An Ode to Luke Evans’s Gaston, the 18th Century’s Greatest Fuccboi, Vulture
- Beauty and the Beast Characters, Disney
- It’s Not You, It’s My Hormones — Testosterone Influences by Lisa Welling, TEDxOaklandUniversity
- Gold Digger [Feat. Jamie Foxx] by Kanye West
- What Pheromones Really Reveal About Your Love Life, Time
- Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC), PDB-101
- Diabetes & Birth Control, University of Colorado OB-GYN
- The Contraception Guide by Dr. Brighten
- Starting Hormonal Birth Control? Here’s How to Reduce the Side Effects by Dr. Brighten
- Can You Have a Successful Pregnancy with MTHFR? Healthline
- Can MTHFR Gene Mutations Cause a Stroke? MTHFR Gene Health
- Here Are 29 Stories from Women Whose Doctors Did Not Take Their Pain Seriously, BuzzFeed
- Can Birth Control Hormones Be Filtered from the Water Supply? Scientific American
- Why Are These Male Fish Growing Eggs? National Geographic
- Alex Jones’ Gay Frogs Conspiracy, Know Your Meme
- World’s Rivers ‘Awash with Dangerous Levels of Antibiotics’ The Guardian
- How Plastic is Wrecking Your Health | Carol Kwiatkowski, PhD, The Genius Life 42
- Paper Straws Are Still Better Than Plastic, The Atlantic
- Reusable Metal Straws
- A Super Brief and Basic Explanation of Epigenetics for Total Beginners, What Is Epigenetics?
- The Human Genome Project, NIH
- Oxytocin: Facts About the ‘Cuddle Hormone’ Live Science