[Featured photo by Ryan Hartford of Ecliptic Media]
What We Discuss with Howie Mandel:
- Why Howie believes it’s important for us to be open about our struggles no matter what they are.
- How being impulsive helped Howie understand the power of “now” and set him on his current career path.
- Why Howie believes more of us would be ahead and happier if we learned to live in the moment instead of fretting over consequences.
- What Richard Pryor taught Howie about honing an act and controlling an audience like a conductor — not always going for laughs, but impact.
- The real secret to staying married for 40 years.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
One of the hardest working men in comedy, America’s Got Talent judge, Deal or No Deal host, and Here’s the Deal: Don’t Touch Me coauthor Howie Mandel accidentally outed himself as a germaphobe suffering from OCD on The Howard Stern Show. Instead of this incident ruining his life and career, it allowed him to become the voice of the disorder in many ways, and he’s used it as a lens with which to study human nature, forming the foundation of his comedy.
This episode is so fun, so interesting, and so all over the place that it has quickly become one of my most favorite interviews I’ve done in the history of the show. I’ve got a few fun notes and stories for after the show as well, but in the meantime, please enjoy this episode with one of the most prolific comedians of the day!
Please Scroll Down for Featured Resources and Transcript!
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Jordan Harbinger Show receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you for your support!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Happier with Gretchen Rubin is a lively, thought-provoking podcast in which the best-selling author and her cohost (and sister) Elizabeth Craft share practical, manageable advice about happiness and good habits. Lend it your ears here!
More About This Show
In his earliest days as a comedian, America’s Got Talent judge, Deal or No Deal host, and Here’s the Deal: Don’t Touch Me coauthor Howie Mandel literally made up his act on the spot in front of a live audience — and it was all set in motion by a dare. Before that, he was a color-blind carpet salesman during a time when wildly clashing hues were more forgivable than they might be today. These two career paths were informed by one character trait that some might consider a flaw, but Howie proudly owns: impulsiveness.
Instead of overthinking and saying “coulda, shoulda, woulda” after the fact, Howie thinks more of us would be ahead and happier if we lived in the moment — as long as we’re not hurting anybody.
“You shouldn’t spend a moment thinking about what you don’t have and what you want. You’ve got to think about ‘How do I make this moment — this second — the most fun, the most interesting, and the most exciting?’ Because that’s all you have, and that’s all I do every minute of the day. And I fight for that — I don’t achieve that, but that’s what I fight to do.”Listen to this episode in its entirety to learn more about Howie’s outrageous ability to gleefully springboard himself out of his comfort zone in order to experience new things and make connections with interesting strangers, how he realized it was okay to talk openly about his struggles with OCD and mysophobia after an embarrassing public gaffe that worked in his favor, what Richard Pryor taught Howie about the virtues of fearlessness and the art of controlling an audience like a world-class conductor, the real secret to staying happily married for 40 years, and much more.
THANKS, HOWIE MANDEL!
If you enjoyed this session with Howie Mandel, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources from This Episode:
- Here’s the Deal: Don’t Touch Me by Howie Mandel and Josh Young
- Howie Mandel at Facebook
- Howie Mandel at Twitter
- America’s Got Talent, NBC
- Deal or No Deal, CNBC
- Howie Mandel Presents Howie Mandel at the Howie Mandel Comedy Club, Showtime
- Howie Mandel’s Animals Doing Things, National Geographic
- St. Elsewhere
- Bobby’s World
- Howie Mandel, WTF with Marc Maron Episode 985
- Howard Stern, Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend Episode 27
- Yuk Yuk’s Comedy Club, Toronto
- Howie Mandel’s First TV Appearance, The 6th Annual Young Comedians Show
- How to Bake Anatomically Correct Gingerbread Men & Women, Snapguide
- Mike Binder on Twitter
- The Comedy Store, Los Angeles
- Howie Mandel & Dr. Joyce Brothers, Make Me Laugh
- The Merv Griffin Show
- Terry Mandel, IMDB
- The Flavells at Twitter
- Puppetry of the Penis
- That Time Howard Stern Bullied Howie Mandel into a Panic Attack on Air, The Loop
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Symptoms and Causes, The Mayo Clinic
- Richard Pryor: Live on The Sunset Strip
- Radio City Music Hall
- Watermelon Circus, Gallagher
- Earth, Wind & Fire
- Rock & Roll Tragedy: Why 11 Died at the Who’s Cincinnati Concert, Rolling Stone
- Doug Henning: A Magician Who Changed Magic Forever, Groovy History
- Let’s Revisit the Time Diana Ross Dated Gene Simmons, BLAC
- Thicke of the Night, Wikipedia
- Joan Rivers Interviews Howie Mandel, The Tonight Show
- Johnny Carson Interviews Howie Mandel, The Tonight Show
- Howie Mandel: Carpet Salesman? CNN