Out of work since late last year, you were finally making progress on the job hunt until COVID-19 locked everything down. Now you’ve been making connections and finding opportunities on LinkedIn that seem promising. The problem is, your spouse is nervous that anything you post there will somehow hurt your chances for getting a job; it seems her resentment that you’re not working — added to the constant proximity of quarantining responsibly — puts the world through a very negative lens and anything you say is stupid.
So now she’s monitoring your LinkedIn account from hers and picking fights with you every time you post anything there. Should you find another place to live for now while pursuing work, or should you just let your spouse control your online life and make that pursuit more difficult? We tackle this and more here on Feedback Friday!
And in case you didn’t already know it, Jordan Harbinger (@JordanHarbinger) and Jason DeFillippo (@jpdef) banter and take your comments and questions for Feedback Friday right here every week! If you want us to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. Now let’s dive in!
On This Week’s Feedback Friday, We Discuss:
- How do you know if the work from home/side hustle guru you’re following on Instagram is a scam artist or the real deal?
- Sadly, your spouse is simultaneously resentful that you don’t have a job and embarrassed that you post to LinkedIn looking for one — and it causes fights that last for days. Should you find your own space for a while or let them control your online life?
- Your significant other passed away in front of you at home, and now you’re dealing with PTSD on top of grief in the very place where it happened. What can you do to move forward?
- With the biological clock ticking, are you selfish or stupid to try for a child in the middle of a pandemic?
- Laura Gassner Otting recommended cutting off toxic people in your life who don’t support or “cheerlead” for you. Sadly, you’ve never been the cheerleading type — should you worry that you’ve been a toxic person all along without knowing?
- You’re a South Indian with a supposedly hard-to-pronounce name. You don’t mind people mispronouncing it (because the effort is respectful), but you do mind the “cutesy” nicknames foisted upon you by people you barely know. How can you get people to take you seriously enough to use your actual name?
- When the family relies on you so much, how can you find the time to get a place of your own and become independent for the first time in your young life?
- Life Pro Tip: Buy domains for your name, your kids’ names, and the names of any businesses or anything you own (for a discount at our sponsor hover.com/jordan). If you can, set up a small website (quickly and easily at another sponsor, hostgator.com/jordan). Giving a domain or website to someone is also a thoughtful gift idea!
- Recommendations of the Week: Restaurant Employee Relief Fund and Off Their Plate
- A quick shout out to Hans, who really put episode 342 with David Epstein to work for him!
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at email@example.com!
- Connect with Jordan on Twitter at @JordanHarbinger and Instagram at @jordanharbinger.
- Connect with Jason on Twitter at @jpdef and Instagram at @JPD, and check out his other show: Grumpy Old Geeks.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider leaving your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Save up to a whopping 62% on new webhosting packages with HostGator at hostgator.com/jordan!
Fiverr has a mission to change how the world works together by connecting businesses with freelancers offering digital services in 250+ categories. Whether you’re looking for new copy and a design for your website or a voicemail message in an exotic accent from a faraway land, Fiverr can deliver at a price you can afford. Go to Fiverr.com and use code JORDAN at checkout to get 10% off!
Better Help offers affordable, online counseling at your convenience. If you’re coping with depression, stress, anxiety, addiction, or any number of issues, you’re not alone. Talk with a licensed professional therapist for 10 percent off your first month at betterhelp.com/jordan!
Blue Moon Belgian White is refreshing for the palate of the sophisticated beer aficionado without succumbing to snobbery. Not sure if it’s available in your area? get.bluemoonbeer.com allows you to find local stores that carry Blue Moon or have it delivered in under three hours!
Saving money on your car insurance is easy with Progressive. It’s an average savings of $699 a year for customers who switch and save! Get your quote online at Progressive.com and see how much you could be saving today!
In This Is A Collect Call from Sing Sing, John J. Lennon hopes to find the connecting tissue between people in mainstream culture and in the subculture of prison — humanizing who we are and why. It’s the closest most listeners will ever get to being inside an American prison. Listen on PodcastOne or your podcast player of choice!
Resources from This Episode:
- Dan Heath | Solving Problems from Upstream | TJHS 350
- Dennis Carroll | Planning an End to the Pandemic Era | TJHS 320
- General Martin Dempsey | No Time For Spectators | TJHS 351
- How to Stay Productive Under Quarantine by Jordan Harbinger
- The Grumpy Old Geeks Podcast
- The Smart Passive Income Blog by Pat Flynn (Reputable Friend of the Show)
- Akshay Nanavati | Fearvana: Finding Bliss from Suffering | TJHS 289
- Better Help
- Coronavirus Pregnancy Guide: What to Expect When You’re Expecting | The Washington Post
- Laura Gassner Otting | Living Your Limitless Life | TJHS 323
- Telangiectasia: Causes, Symptoms, and Diagnosis | Healthline
- Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim Description and Brand Names | The Mayo Clinic
- Where to Begin with Peter Bogdanovich | BFI
- Restaurant Employee Relief Fund
- Off Their Plate
- David Epstein | Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World | TJHS 342
Coming Soon: Transcript for 352: My Spouse Controls My Online Life! | Feedback Friday