What makes the annual pageantry of The Academy Awards (aka The Oscars) so alluring to millions of everyday folks? Are we transfixed by the film industry’s recognition of its worthiest, or are we just voyeurs glimpsing a glamorous world a scant few of us will ever experience? Award-winning journalist and podcaster Andrew Gold joins us for this Skeptical Sunday to demystify the mystique and break the spell behind one of the world’s most celebrated events. (And don’t worry, David C. Smalley fans! David will return soon for future installments of Skeptical Sunday!)
On This Week’s Skeptical Sunday, We Discuss:
- Who decides who’s worthy of winning an Oscar?
- How does someone become a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences?
- Were Will Smith and Chris Rock paid big money to stage that infamous slap in 2022?
- Why is the number of people tuning in to the annual ceremony dwindling compared to its heyday?
- Why would anyone object to shortening the length of the ceremony to suit the attention span of a modern audience?
- Connect with Jordan on Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. If you have something you’d like us to tackle here on Skeptical Sunday, drop Jordan a line at email@example.com and let him know!
- Connect with Andrew on Twitter and Instagram, and check out On the Edge with Andrew Gold here or wherever you enjoy listening to fine podcasts!
- Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider leaving your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Please Scroll Down for Featured Resources and Transcript!
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Jordan Harbinger Show receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you for your support!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
This Episode Is Sponsored By:
- Peloton: Learn more at onepeloton.com/row
Miss our conversation with spooky mentalist Derren Brown? Catch up with episode 150: Derren Brown | Using the Power of Suggestion for Good here!
Resources from This Episode:
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- Harry, Meghan, Reparations, Israel, and Gender with Coleman Hughes | OTE Podcast #227
- Why Are the Academy Awards Statuettes Called Oscars? | Mental Floss
- Academy Awards: Number of Viewers 2023 | Statista
- Oscars Audience Jumped After Will Smith’s Slap of Chris Rock | The New York Times
- Louis CK: Actors ‘Like an Empty Coffee Cup’ | Opie & Anthony
- Imagine | Gal Gadot, Instagram
- Frasier | Prime Video
- Jerry Seinfeld: ‘All Award Shows Are Stupid,’ HBO Comedian Award, 2007 | Speakola
- Who Votes for Oscars and How Academy Awards Voting Works | Variety
- Dolby Theatre
- Who Gets Invited to the Oscars? | Los Angeles Times
- Can Robots Satisfy Us In Bed (And Other Big Think Questions) with Paul Bloom | OTE Podcast 240
- QuickFacts: United States Population Estimates | US Census Bureau
- A Breakdown of the Oscars Diversity Problem, by the Numbers | Insider
- How #OscarsSoWhite Changed the Academy Awards | BBC News
- Judith Butler: ‘We Need to Rethink the Category of Woman’ | The Guardian
- The Joy and the Trauma of Carrying a Celebrity’s Baby | BBC
- The Dark Knight Rises | Prime Video
- There Will Be Blood | Prime Video
- A Timeline of Brendan Fraser’s Career and Comeback | People
- The Whale | Prime Video
- The Mummy (1999) | Prime Video
- George Of The Jungle | Prime Video
- Everything Everywhere All At Once | Prime Video
- Michelle Yeoh | Instagram
- Ke Huy Quan | Instagram
- Leonardo DiCaprio Won His Only Oscar After Fighting a Bear in The Revenant | Esquire
- The Revenant | Prime Video
- Ana Spanakopita | BoJack Horseman Wiki
- Emma Thompson Says Oscar Campaigning Made Her ‘Seriously Ill’ | The Guardian
- Amelia | Prime Video
- Alexander (The Ultimate Cut) | Prime Video
- J. Edgar | Prime Video
- Oscars 2023: How Campaigns for the Academy Awards Turn Movies into Winners | Vox
- Oscar Campaign’s Costs: Leonardo DiCaprio and More Hit the Trail | Variety
- Shakeup at the Oscars | The New Yorker
- Why The Oscars Are Reviewing Their Campaign Procedures | BuzzFeed News
- Christina Ricci on “Elitist” Andrea Riseborough Investigation | AV Club
- Did Titanic Deserve to Sweep The Oscars 25 Years Ago? An Investigation | Slashfilm
- The Night Lord of the Rings Swept the Board | Empire
- Nomadland | Prime Video
- Coda | Prime Video
- Parasite | Prime Video
- Green Book | Prime Video
- The Shape of Water | Prime Video
- Spotlight | Prime Video
- Moonlight | Prime Video
- Emmy Awards | Television Academy
Sign up to receive email updates
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.