Chris Fenton (@TheDragonFeeder) is an expert on China’s influence over Hollywood and how the Chinese government pressures American movie studios into creating soft power propaganda. He is the author of Feeding the Dragon: Inside the Trillion-Dollar Dilemma Facing Hollywood, the NBA, and American Business.
What We Discuss with Chris Fenton:
- How China exerts influence over the Hollywood movie industry.
- The strategies that are used to make movies and commercials relevant to the Chinese public — and ensure they’re pushing the Chinese government’s political agenda.
- How international film edits differ from Chinese film edits.
- What the Chinese government does to punish Hollywood studios that won’t play ball.
- Why leverage doesn’t have to be a one-way street, and how Hollywood can push back against Chinese politics.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
As we’ve explored on this show many times, the Chinese Communist Party that runs China has a very specific way of doing things, and when entering into any agreement with the CCP, it’s important to understand that concessions will likely need to be made to align with its way of doing things. Cross these expectations and you can expect the retribution to be swift and everlasting, as today’s guest, Chris Fenton, author of Feeding the Dragon: Inside the Trillion-Dollar Dilemma Facing Hollywood, the NBA, and American Business, has discovered.
On this episode, Chris joins us to discuss how Hollywood often kowtows to the will of the CCP in order to gain access to the box office receipts of 1.4 billion people (and his own regrettable role in greenlighting concessions as the former head of DMG Entertainment’s motion picture group), the sorts of things that get red-flagged by the CCP’s eagle-eyed censors, instances when careers and partnerships have been ruined for not complying with CCP demands, and how Hollywood can push back against the CCP’s draconian political plays. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll Down for Featured Resources and Transcript!
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Jordan Harbinger Show receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you for your support!
This Episode Is Sponsored By:
- Peloton: Learn more at onepeloton.com/row
- FlyKitt: Visit flykitt.com and use code JORDAN to get a FlyKitt for 15% off
- ZipRecruiter: Learn more at ziprecruiter.com/jordan
- NetSuite: Download the free guide at netsuite.com/jordan
Did you hear our conversation with Desmond Shum, the former CCP insider and former husband of disappeared Chinese billionaire “Whitney” Duan Weihong? Catch up with episode 684: Desmond Shum | Wealth, Power, Corruption, and Vengeance in China here!
Thanks, Chris Fenton!
If you enjoyed this session with Chris Fenton, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources from This Episode:
- Feeding the Dragon: Inside the Trillion Dollar Dilemma Facing Hollywood, the NBA, and American Business by Chris Fenton | Amazon
- Chris Fenton | Twitter
- Chris Fenton | Instagram
- Chris Fenton | Facebook
- The Big Heart of J.C. Spink Remembered by Hollywood’s Players | The Wrap
- Duran Duran
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Prime Video
- ‘Iron Man 3’ China-Only Scenes Draw Mixed Response | The Hollywood Reporter
- Iron Man 3 | Prime Video
- 2008 Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: How Zhang Yimou Pulled off a Masterpiece for Multiple Audiences | Slate
- Understanding Chinese “Wolf Warrior Diplomacy” | The National Bureau of Asian Research
- Wolf Warrior | Prime Video
- Wind of Change: Did the CIA Write the Cold War’s Biggest Anthem? | The Guardian
- Looper | Prime Video
- Top Gun: Maverick Betrays Hollywood’s Weakness in China | BBC News
- Top Gun: Maverick | Prime Video
- Ray Dalio | Why Nations Succeed and Fail | Jordan Harbinger
- Scott Galloway | Course Correcting an America Adrift | Jordan Harbinger
- China Banned Spider-Man: No Way Home Due to Statue of Liberty Scene | Consequence
- Doctor Strange Movie Banned in China for “Promoting Falun Gong” | Bitter Winter
- David Kilgour | The Heartless Art of Forced Organ Harvesting | Jordan Harbinger
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness | Prime Video
- Richard Gere Has a Theory Why Mainstream Hollywood Dumped Him | Vanity Fair
- This Movie Got Martin Scorsese Temporarily Banned From China | Slash Film
- Shanghai Disney Resort
- Red Dawn 2012 Remake Tainted Sony and MGM In China For Years | Bleeding Cool
- Chloé Zhao Backlash Will Test China’s New Era of Hollywood Censorship | The Hollywood Reporter
- The Real Reason John Cena Apologized For Calling Taiwan a Country | Esquire
- Inside the Mysterious Disappearance of Peng Shuai | Elle
- Laowhy86 | China Uprising | Out of the Loop | Jordan Harbinger
- Why Did the Chinese Government Pull Django Unchained From Theaters? | Vulture
- 1989 Tiananmen Square Protests | Amnesty International UK
- Sandy Hook Shootings Draw Attention in China | WSJ
- FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr Supports a Total Ban on TikTok | Morning Edition
- Should NBCUniversal Use Its Leverage Over China’s Communist Party? | Smerconish
Sign up to receive email updates
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.