Daniel Goleman (@DanielGolemanEI) is a psychologist, science journalist, and author of The New York Times Best Seller Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ.
What We Discuss with Daniel Goleman:
- The pros and cons of technology’s influence on the way human beings connect in the 21st century.
- How we read emotions on a subconscious level — and why blind people can sometimes still see them.
- Why sights, smells, and sounds can make us relive traumatic experiences.
- How emotions become contagious.
- The science behind why people act like jerks on the Internet.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
If you’ve ever heard the term emotional intelligence or EQ, you’ll want to listen in on this fascinating conversation with Daniel Goleman — one of the most revolutionary thinkers in the field of human performance and behavior and author of The New York Times Best Seller Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ.
In this episode we talk about how our people skills matter perhaps even more than our other cognitive abilities and can be an even greater predictor of success, how the subconscious mind picks up on emotional cues and some blind people can still see them, how technology is affecting the way human beings connect in the modern world (for better and for worse), how emotions become contagious, why people act like jerks on the Internet, and much more. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Explore Blue Diamond for all your almond product needs. From delicious almond nut snacks to gift baskets, they’ve got you covered at a store near you or at bluediamond.com!
Bespoke Post delivers goods and guidance in a monthly Box of Awesome curated with your unique interests in mind! To receive 20 percent off your first box, go to BoxofAwesome.com and enter code JORDAN at checkout!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Save up to a whopping 62% on new webhosting packages with HostGator at hostgator.com/jordan!
Saving money on your car insurance is easy with Progressive. It’s an average savings of $699 a year for customers who switch and save! Get your quote online at Progressive.com and see how much you could be saving today!
Live your best life online with Dashlane — the safe, simple way to store and fill passwords and personal information. Find out how Dashlane keeps you secure where others fail and get 10 percent off for being one of the first 200 to try it at dashlane.com/jordan!
THANKS, DANIEL GOLEMAN!
If you enjoyed this session with Daniel Goleman, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources from This Episode:
- Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ by Daniel Goleman
- Other Books by Daniel Goleman
- Daniel Goleman’s Website
- Daniel Goleman at Twitter
- 5 Components of Emotional Intelligence, Verywell Mind
- 5 Cheap (or Free!) Quizzes to Test Your Emotional Intelligence, The Muse
- The Mirror Neuron Revolution: Explaining What Makes Humans Social, Scientific American
- Jon Levy at Twitter
- Nest Founder: “I Wake Up In Cold Sweats Thinking, What Did We Bring To The World?” Fast Company
- What is Social Communication Disorder? ADDitude
- Ancient Greeks and Memory by Byron Reese, Medium
- Sight Unseen: People Blinded by Brain Damage Can Respond to Emotive Expressions, Scientific American
- Paul Ekman at Twitter
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- How PTSD and Trauma Affect Your Brain Functioning, Psychology Today
- What Exactly Is a Microaggression? Vox
- Optical Illusions Show How We See by Beau Lotto, TED Global 2009
- Emotional Intelligence by Peter Salovey and John D. Mayer, Imagination, Cognition, and Personality
- Tank Sinatra on Instagram
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
- Dr. Drew Pinsky | Give the World the Best You Have Anyway, TJHS 72
- Why Synchrony Matters During Mother-Child Interactions: A Systematic Review by Chloe Leclere et al., PLoS One
- Pizzled by Daniel Goleman
- Five Guiding Principles of Social and Emotional Learning, McGraw-Hill, Medium
- Forget Delayed Gratification: What Kids Really Need Is Cognitive Control by Daniel Goleman, Time
- Cognitive Control: Latest Research and Reviews, Nature.com
- The Marshmallow Test in Action, Understood
- Cyber-Disinhibition by Daniel Goleman, Edge
- Amygdala Hijack: When Emotion Takes Over, Verywell Mind
- Autism Is Really a Super Power, HuffPost
- Three Kinds of Empathy by Daniel Goleman
- Joe Navarro | How to Identify and Protect Yourself from Harmful People, TJHS 135
- The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker
- The Light Triad vs. Dark Triad of Personality, Scientific American
- Long-Married Couples Do Look Alike, Study Finds by Daniel Goleman, The New York Times
- Prevalence and Characteristics of Physicians Prone to Malpractice Claims by David M. Studdert et al., The New England Journal of Medicine
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
- Q&A with Daniel Goleman: How the Research Supports Social-Emotional Learning, Edutopia
- SEL Tip: Deep “Put Ups” Can Build Relationships, Morningside Center