David Buss (@profdavidbuss) is considered the world’s leading scientific expert on the evolutionary psychology of human mating strategies. He is the author of several books on the subject, most recently When Men Behave Badly: The Hidden Roots of Sexual Deception, Harassment, and Assault.
What We Discuss with David Buss:
- Why, from an evolutionary standpoint, the reproductive interests of males and females sometimes diverge.
- Why metabolizing alcohol differently makes women more susceptible to an expectation of bonding (and how some men exploit this).
- The Dark Triad traits that mark the men most likely to have short-term relationships and cheat.
- How do women use active signaling to show they’re more open to short-term relationships?
- She’s not playing hard to get. If she rejects you softly, it isn’t an invitation to try harder — it’s a survival tactic meant to avoid prompting a violent reaction.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Dr. David Buss of the University of Texas at Austin is an expert on the evolutionary psychology of human mating strategies. Last time he was on the show (we recommend giving it a listen here), we discussed what women want, what men want, and why their desires radically differ as outlined in his book The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating.
This time around, we dive deeper into the consequences of these differences in desire and try to unearth the roots of the dangerous dynamics that underpin men’s predatory behavior — and explore what we can all do to address it as a society. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll Down for Featured Resources and Transcript!
Please note that some of the links on this page (books, movies, music, etc.) lead to affiliate programs for which The Jordan Harbinger Show receives compensation. It’s just one of the ways we keep the lights on around here. Thank you for your support!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
- BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough: Get 10% off with code JORDAN10
- DesignCrowd: Get up to $150 off our bonus offer
- Trust & Will: Go to trustandwill.com/jordan for 10% off customized legal documents + free shipping
- BetterHelp: Get 10% off your first month at betterhelp.com/jordan
- Chinet: Visit mychinet.com to find out more
The Adam Carolla Show is the number one daily downloaded podcast in the World! Get it on as Adam shares his thoughts on current events, relationships, airport security, specialty pizzas, politics, and anything else he can complain about — five days a week on PodcastOne here!
Thanks, David Buss!
If you enjoyed this session with David Buss, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Resources from This Episode:
- When Men Behave Badly: The Hidden Roots of Sexual Deception, Harassment, and Assault by David M. Buss | Amazon
- The Evolution of Desire: Strategies of Human Mating by David M. Buss | Amazon
- David Buss | Troubleshooting Strategies from the Evolution of Desire | Jordan Harbinger
- Other Books by David Buss
- Buss Lab | University of Texas
- David Buss | Facebook
- David Buss | Twitter
- Male Spiders Scam Females with Gift-Wrapped Garbage | Scientific American
- The Light Triad vs. Dark Triad of Personality | Scientific American Blog Network
- Jeffrey Epstein’s Hollywood Pipeline Ran Straight to Harvey Weinstein | The Daily Beast
- Out of Your League? A Scientific Assessment of “Mate Value” | Psychology Today
- Bill Cosby: The Rise, Fall and Release of ‘America’s Dad’ | BBC News
- Courtney Love Called Out Harvey Weinstein Back in 2005 | Glamour
- Bill O’Reilly Settled New Harassment Claim, Then Fox Renewed His Contract | The New York Times
- Reading Female Body Language: 15 Cues To Reveal Attraction | Science of People
- Who Blames a Girl by Saying, ‘She’s Asking for It’ Needs to Know | ScoopWhoop
- People Are Strange by The Doors | Amazon Music
- “Women Seem Wicked When You’re Unwanted.” – Jim Morrison | r/TheBluePill
- Incels: A Definition and Investigation into a Dark Internet Corner | Vox
- Why Do Men Send Unsolicited Dick Pics? A Sex Researcher Explains. | Men’s Health
- The “Sexy Sons” Theory of What Women Are Attracted to in Men | Psychology Today
- How to Recognize Dark Triad Personality Traits | Psychology Today
- The Psychology of the Backup Boyfriend or Girlfriend | Psychology Today
- Does the Mate-Switching Hypothesis Explain Female Infidelity? by David Buss | Aeon Essays
- Human Mate Guarding by David Buss | Neuroendocrinology Letters
- Three Ways People Try to Keep Partners from Cheating, or Leaving | Psychology Today
- The Role of Isolation in Domestic Violence | Kupferman & Golden Family Law
- Revenge Porn | Victim of Crime Resource Center
- Sexual Conflict in Human Mating by David Buss | Current Directions in Psychological Science
- “These Are Very Bad Dudes” — David Buss on Sexual Conflict and the Dark Triad | Quillette
- Self-Defense Tools for Women, but Make Them Cool | Glamour
- Texas Candidate’s Comment About Rape Causes a Furor | The New York Times
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Rape Culture by Zaron Burnett III | NASCO
- Sexual Overperception Bias | The Decision Lab
Sign up to receive email updates
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.