Guy Raz (@guyraz) hosts popular podcasts How I Built This and TED Radio Hour, and he’s the author of How I Built This: The Unexpected Paths to Success from the World’s Most Inspiring Entrepreneurs.
What We Discuss with Guy Raz:
- Guy’s number one secret to getting a great interview.
- What’s the one teachable quality all entrepreneurs seem to have in common?
- How much truth is there to the American folk tale that opportunity comes to anyone who’s just willing to put in the work?
- What a guest has to gain by being asked difficult questions during an interview.
- Why countries that make a concerted effort to confront the uncomfortable passages from their own history books become stronger and better.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
How does someone who aspires to become a print journalist settle for reporting from the trenches of the world’s most volatile pressure points and then make the shift to the beloved personality best known for coaxing compelling stories from entrepreneurs far and wide on NPR’s How I Built This? This is Guy Raz‘s journey, and he’s here to tell us about every step of the way.
On this episode, Guy — whose book How I Built This: The Unexpected Paths to Success from the World’s Most Inspiring Entrepreneurs is out now — shares his number one secret to getting a great interview, the one teachable — not intrinsic — quality all entrepreneurs seem to have in common, how asking difficult questions during an interview serves both the overall story and the guest being grilled, the luck involved in every success story, and much more. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll Down for Featured Resources and Transcript!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Better Help offers affordable, online counseling at your convenience. If you’re coping with depression, stress, anxiety, addiction, or any number of issues, you’re not alone. Talk with a licensed professional therapist for 10 percent off your first month at betterhelp.com/jordan!
Want a suit that’s tailor-made, high in quality, but not bank account draining? Get $30 off any purchase of $399 or more online at Indochino using code JORDAN at checkout!
HostGator has been around almost as long as the Internet. Does your business have an Internet presence? Save up to a whopping 62% on new webhosting packages with HostGator at hostgator.com/jordan!
OxiClean MaxForce tackles grease, oil, grass, blood, soil, clay, food, and drink stains with five types of stain fighters. To work your magic with OxiClean MaxForce, go to OxiClean.com/MaxForce1 to get a coupon for $1 off!
Miss our episode with Somali pirate hostage Michael Scott Moore? Catch up with episode 115: Michael Scott Moore | What It’s Really like to Be a Pirate Hostage here!
THANKS, GUY RAZ!
If you enjoyed this session with Guy Raz, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources from This Episode:
- How I Built This: The Unexpected Paths to Success from the World’s Most Inspiring Entrepreneurs by Guy Raz
- Guy Raz | Website
- Guy Raz | Twitter
- Guy Raz | Facebook
- Guy Raz | Instagram
- How I Built This with Guy Raz | NPR
- Wow in the World | NPR
- TED Radio Hour | NPR
- Wisdom From The Top | Luminary
- The Rewind with Guy Raz | Spotify
- Homemade Hemp Milk | Minimalist Baker Recipes
- Washington City Paper
- David Carr, Journalism’s Super-Mentor | The Atlantic
- Jake Tapper | Twitter
- Ta-Nehisi Coates | Website
- How to Overcome Imposter Syndrome | Deep Dive | TJHS 127
- Israeli-Palestinian Conflict | Global Conflict Tracker
- What Is Happening in Macedonia? | Al Jazeera
- Massive Protests Continue In Belarus As Demonstrators Demand Lukashenko Resign | NPR
- What Happened the Day the Berlin Wall Fell | Time
- Tim Ferriss: Why You Should Define Your Fears Instead of Your Goals | TED 2017
- Simon Sinek | How to Play the Infinite Game | TJHS 300
- How to Find a Mentor (And Make the Most of the Relationship) | Jordan Harbinger
- Why David Letterman Is among Television History’s Biggest Losers | The Washington Post
- Eminem Confronts His Inner Demons In ‘Recovery’ | NPR
- How Guy Raz Built ‘How I Built This’ | The New York Times
- Nellie Bowles | Twitter
- Malcolm Gladwell | What We Should Know About Talking to Strangers | TJHS 256
- Yelp: Jeremy Stoppelman | How I Built This with Guy Raz
- Ring: Jamie Siminoff | How I Built This with Guy Raz
- Sara Blakely | Instagram
- Tope Awotona | Twitter
- What NPR’s Guy Raz Told Jimmy Fallon about Why Latter-Day Saints Are Successful in Business | LDS Living
- Edible Arrangements: Tariq Farid | How I Built This with Guy Raz
- Mark Sutcliffe: Do We Overstate Hard Work In the Narrative Of Success? | NPR
- Michael Scott Moore | What It’s Really like to Be a Pirate Hostage | TJHS 115
Sign up to receive email updates
Enter your name and email address below and I'll send you periodic updates about the podcast.