Ever wondered how to get hired like a boss? Ramit Sethi (@ramit) of I Will Teach You to Be Rich joins us for this Feedback Friday to illustrate something called The Briefcase Technique, which you can use to powerfully demonstrate value to connections in your network and potential employers. As Ramit says, “The way to stand out is to not just tell people what you would do, but show them.”
And in case you didn’t already know it, Jordan Harbinger (@JordanHarbinger) and Jason DeFillippo (@jpdef) banter and take your comments and questions for Feedback Friday right here every week! If you want us to answer your question, register your feedback, or tell your story on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com. Now let’s dive in!
On This Week’s Feedback Friday, We Discuss:
- How do you keep your mother from bringing her awful date — who also happens to be your father — to your best friend’s wedding?
- You could retire early and enjoy time off, but you don’t want to get stuck finding a new job if you get bored in a couple of years. What to do?
- You have questions and concerns while building a new house. How do you avoid ticking off the contractors to the point of sabotage?
- How do successful people balance between work they’re passionate about, families they adore, and outlets they need to function at an optimal level?
- The dream job you landed at Harvard would be even dreamier if it paid well enough now to make a dent in your student loans. Should you stay or go?
- When the real nature of your job doesn’t reflect what you thought you signed on for, how do you approach a contract renegotiation gracefully?
- How do you distinguish yourself from the competition and get hired like a boss or make new network connections stick? Ramit Sethi joins us to illustrate an almost magical tactic called The Briefcase Technique.
- What are the pros and cons of starting a new relationship when you describe yourself as being in an “awkward” stage in life?
- Life Pro Tip: Save your money on clothes, but find a fantastic tailor. A well-fitting wardrobe of thrift store finds looks way better in person than most high-end clothing.
- Recommendation of the Week: The Kindness Diaries (Something to ponder: How long does Leon Logothetis get stuck at gas stations waiting for people he can ask for a few drops in the tank?)
- A quick shoutout to Mark Serratore, who got a prison pen pal for a college course 10 years ago and still keeps in touch!
- Have any questions, comments, or stories you’d like to share with us? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Connect with Jordan on Twitter at @JordanHarbinger and Instagram at @jordanharbinger.
- Connect with Jason on Twitter at @jpdef and Instagram at @JPD, and check out his other show: Grumpy Old Geeks.
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider leaving your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
Better Help offers affordable, online counseling at your convenience. If you’re coping with depression, stress, anxiety, addiction, or any number of issues, you’re not alone. Talk with a licensed professional therapist for 10 percent off your first month at betterhelp.com/jordan!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Save up to a whopping 62% on new webhosting packages with HostGator at hostgator.com/jordan!
HoneyBook allows you to keep track of projects, manage important documents, schedule appointments, streamline communications, draft proposals, process payments, and more. Get 50% off your first year at honeybook.com with promo code JORDAN!
The Hartford Insurance Group knows there’s nothing small in small business, and it’s been protecting customers for over 200 years. Learn what it can do for you and your business at thehartford.com/smallbusiness!
We’re not too proud to beg. If you like this show, you’d be doing us a huge favor (and ensure we can keep making it) by taking four minutes to fill out this PodcastOne survey at jordanharbinger.com/survey! Pretty please?
Resources from This Episode:
- Lisa Lampanelli | Changing Careers at the Top of Your Game, TJHS 183
- Naveen Jain | How Moonshot Thinking Will Save the World, TJHS 184
- How to Talk about Yourself (And Not Sound like an A-hole) by Jordan Harbinger
- Moby’s Awards
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich with Ramit Sethi
- Molly Bloom | The One Who Makes the Rules Wins the Game, TJHS 120
- Jane McGonigal | Gaming Your Way to Health and Happiness, TJHS 96
- Annie Duke | How to Make Decisions Like a Poker Champ, TJHS 40
- Duana Welch | The Science of Jealousy and How to Manage It, TJHS 37
- Barbara Boxer | The Thrill of the Fight Back, TJHS 75
- What Is a Planned Unit Development (PUD), and How Does It Impact My Mortgage? Zillow
- Who Wears a Maternity Dress Better? Jordan’s Instagram
- Harvard University
- Gabriel Mizrahi
- Six-Minute Networking
- The Briefcase Technique by Ramit Sethi, I Will Teach You to Be Rich
- Charlie Hoehn
- Tim Ferriss
- The Kindness Diaries, Netflix