What We Discuss with Mike Posner:
- Can two grown men who went to rival high schools as teenagers make nice on a podcast?
- How experiencing fame and fortune forced Mike Posner to reexamine his values — and why he’s glad it happened to him early in life.
- How Mike’s lifestyle changed from a focus on fame, money, and materialism to one centered around self-care, creativity, and motivation.
- Why Mike looks at success and failure as waves that tend to follow one another — not states of guaranteed permanence.
- Is Mike walking from sea to shining sea on his own two feet in an effort to prove that this Groves Falcon is way better than any Seaholm Maple could ever be?
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
I’ve always wondered what it’s like to hit widespread fame and fortune early on in life, and today’s guest, Mike Posner, has done just that. He’s written hits such as I Took a Pill in Ibiza, which has billions of plays on various platforms. He’s also written for other artists from Maroon 5 to Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg to Avicii.
But fame has had an interesting effect on Mike. Once he got it, he realized he didn’t need it, and ended up in a bit of a funk that motivated him to change his entire life from how he lived to what he valued — and, perhaps more important, what he didn’t value any longer. Now he’s taking a break from the limelight for a 3,000-mile walk across the United States. Why? Listen to, learn from, and enjoy this episode to find out!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
If you’re only going to take one gluten and dairy-free, keto, paleo, and vegan-friendly supplement to boost energy, balance nutrition, and aid digestion, then Athletic Greens — with its 76 natural ingredients — is what we recommend. The Jordan Harbinger Show listeners get 23 travel packs (valued at $79) with their first purchase at athleticgreens.com/jordan!
Need custom graphics, logos, or Web design? Access a community of 600,000+ designers by registering at designcrowd.com/jordan and enjoy up to $100 off with The Jordan Harbinger Show bonus offer!
Great protection. Fair prices. Easy to use. SimpliSafe is the right way to protect your home at half the size and double the range — go to SimpliSafe.com/jordan to learn more!
Eight Sleep is the first bed engineered with dynamic cooling and heating that keeps you at the perfect temperature all night long. Get $100 off your purchase when you go to EightSleep.com/jordan!
Brother INKvestment Tank all-in-one inkjet printers keep your business running by delivering up to one year of printing without the need to replace ink cartridges! Find out more by visiting ChangeTheWayYouInk.com!
More About This Show
In spite of going to a rival high school in my home town, there’s no denying that Mike Posner is a nice guy. Which is why I feel bad that he’s had to delay his planned walk across the United States until his broken pinkie toe can heal. He explains this coast-to-coast trek has been on his bucket list forever, and recent deaths among family and friends have reminded him that it’s easy to let such lists go unfinished without applying some sense of urgency to their completion.
“It’ll take eight, nine months-ish,” says Mike, “but there’s no real way to tell…from Asbury Park, New Jersey — the Atlantic Ocean — to Venice Beach, California — the Pacific Ocean.”
This undertaking was blessed by none other than Tom “Run, Forrest! Run!” Hanks, himself — who by some serendipitous turn of events happened to be attending a party where Mike wound up one night.
“He said: ‘That’s just great!’ It’s destined for success now.”
Listen to this episode in its entirety to learn more about how Mike feels about writing music for other artists versus writing for himself, the upside of not being as famous as many of his friends, why Mike chose not to pursue a career in hip hop in spite of dominating many a rap battle in his day, how Mike arrived at finding his own unique musical style, what Mike did to gain publicity traction when he was just starting out, how honest criticism from Kanye West inspired rather than discouraged Mike to make more music, how Jay Z ruined Mike’s academic aspirations, further details of Mike’s casual 3,000-mile stroll across the United States, and much more.
THANKS, MIKE POSNER!
If you enjoyed this session with Mike Posner, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Resources from This Episode:
- Mike Posner’s Website
- Mike Posner at Spotify
- Mike Posner at YouTube
- Mike Posner at Facebook
- Mike Posner at Instagram
- Mike Posner at Twitter
- Run Across America, Forrest Gump
- Wylie E. Groves High School
- Ernest W. Seaholm High School
- I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Seeb Remix) by Mike Posner
- How to Have More Engaging Conversations — with Jordan Harbinger, Noah Kagan Presents
- Mike Posner on Spending the Summer with Biebs and Writing Rhymes for Big Sean by Casey Lewis, Teen Vogue
- Bow Wow (That’s My Name) ft. Snoop Dogg by Lil’ Bow Wow
- Vanilla Ice: Amish Farmer? by Andy Wright, Modern Farmer
- Hot 107.5, Detroit
- Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner
- Flight Club: Sneakers. Here.
- DatPiff: The Authority in Free Mixtapes
- What is iTunes U? Free College Courses from Top Universities by Matt Breed, Money Crashers
- Inside a Kanye West Tour: “Glow in the Dark” Photos, Backstage Tales by Daniel Kreps, Rolling Stone
- Mike Posner Talks About The Time He Met Jay Z In College by Anna Oseran, Genius
- David Goggins: How to Become the Toughest Man Alive by Louis Chew, Constant Renewal
- Who Knows feat. Big Sean by Mike Posner
- Mike Posner and Blackbear Are Turning Heads With Their New Duo, Mansionz by Sarah Purkrabek, L.A. Weekly
- Move On by Mike Posner