Steven Hassan (@CultExpert) is a licensed mental health counselor who has been educating the public about mind control, brainwashing, and destructive cults since 1976. He’s the author of Combating Cult Mind Control: The Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults and the founder of the Freedom of Mind Resource Center. This is part two of a two-part episode. Check out part one here!
What We Discuss with Steven Hassan:
- What to do if you suspect you’ve been targeted for recruitment by a cult.
- How to tell if your friends and family are being affected by a cult.
- What you should and shouldn’t say to someone you’re trying to rescue from a cult.
- How phobia indoctrination keeps a cult’s potential defectors tethered to its undue influence by fear (and how Steven helps people break this indoctrination).
- Why Steven is optimistic that we’ve reached a turning point at which the bulk of humanity is waking up to understanding the psychology of undue influence.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
The Branch Davidians. The Manson Family. The People’s Temple. Boko Haram. ISIS. Al-Qaeda. Heaven’s Gate. NXIVM. Scientology. The Unification Church. The Children of God. The Rajneesh Movement. What do these organizations have in common? They’re all destructive cults that have employed mind control, brainwashing, parental alienation, estrangement, unethical hypnosis, abusive relationships, human trafficking, multi-level marketing, violent extremism, and other forms of undue influence to recruit, subvert, and dominate their members.
On this episode we talk to Steven Hassan, a licensed mental health counselor who has been helping people exit destructive cults since 1976 — following his own departure from Sun Myung Moon’s infamous Unification Church. As a former insider, he understands how these cults captivate even society’s smartest and most resilient using some of the oldest psychological tricks in the book — and he’ll help us protect ourselves and others from their pervasive reach. Steven is the author of Combating Cult Mind Control: The Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults and founder of the Freedom of Mind Resource Center. Listen, learn, and enjoy! This is part two of a two-part episode. Check out part one here!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Save up to a whopping 62% on new webhosting packages with HostGator at hostgator.com/jordan!
Need custom graphics, logos, or Web design? Access a community of 600,000+ designers by registering at designcrowd.com/jordan and enjoy up to $100 off with The Jordan Harbinger Show bonus offer!
Eight Sleep is the first bed engineered with dynamic cooling and heating that keeps you at the perfect temperature all night long. Get $150 off your purchase when you go to EightSleep.com/jordan!
Saving money on your car insurance is easy with Progressive. It’s an average savings of $699 a year for customers who switch and save! Get your quote online at Progressive.com and see how much you could be saving today!
MedMen is proud to be leading the way as the cannabis industry transitions from its legacy era of homegrown enterprises to an institutional phase of professional standards and practices. Experience the new normal and find your closest store at MedMen.com — and use code JORDAN for 10 percent off!
THANKS, STEVEN HASSAN!
If you enjoyed this session with Steven Hassan, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at email@example.com.
Resources from This Episode:
- Combating Cult Mind Control: The Guide to Protection, Rescue, and Recovery from Destructive Cults by Steven Hassan
- The Cult of Trump: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the President Uses Mind Control by Steven Hassan
- Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults, and Beliefs by Steven Hassan
- Freedom of Mind Resource Center
- Steven Hassan at Instagram
- Steven Hassan at Facebook
- Steven Hassan at Twitter
- Steven Hassan at YouTube
- Flashback: Waco Cult Showdown Ends in Disaster, Rolling Stone
- Waco: What Went Wrong? Steve Hassan at Harvard, 1997
- Cognitive Dissonance, Simply Psychology
- Robert Jay Lifton’s Eight Criteria of Thought Reform by Steven Hassan, Freedom of Mind Resource Center
- Cults in Our Midst: The Continuing Fight Against Their Hidden Menace by Margaret Thaler Singer
- Lewin’s Three-Stage Model of Change: Unfreezing, Changing, and Refreezing, Study.com
- Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism: A Study of ‘Brainwashing’ in China by Robert Jay Lifton
- The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer
- Raniere ‘Proved’ His Highest IQ by Conducting His Own Study, Frank Report
- John Grinder and Richard Bandler: NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), Management Pocketblog
- Operation Clambake — The Inner Secrets Of Scientology
- Steven Hassan, The Dr. Drew Podcast 132
- Captain Marvel
- The Exorcist
- Phobia Induction and Desensitization, Open Minds Foundation
- Hate Map, Southern Poverty Law Center
- Mindfulness’ “Truthiness” Problem: Sam Harris, Science and the Truth about Buddhist Tradition, Salon
- Psychologists Express Growing Concern with Mindfulness Meditation, Cult Education Institute
- Meditation, Yes! But Please Be Careful and Do Your Homework Regarding Transcendental Meditation (TM) by Steven Hassan, Freedom of Mind Resource Center
- Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev of Isha Foundation Is a Cult Leader, Sadhguru Cult Education
- Internet Archive Wayback Machine
- New Cult Awareness Network, Wikipedia
- Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath