Gabriel Mizrahi (@GabeMizrahi) joins us for this deep dive into how even the most driving purpose can wear you down, why meaning doesn’t always align with happiness, and what you can do to recalibrate your purpose when you’re discouraged by the obstacles you face in its pursuit.
What We Discuss with Gabriel Mizrahi:
- Why meaning doesn’t automatically create happiness, and happiness isn’t required to create meaning.
- Why, if you’re doing it right, pursuing your purpose should make you miserable from time to time.
- The key upsides to embracing the difficulty of your purpose and how it drives you toward your best work.
- How to focus on the micro over the macro in order to keep you connected to your purpose when you’re having your doubts.
- Understanding that discipline is knowing when to think about certain issues; denial is refusing to think about them at all.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Whether it’s a job that fulfills us, a calling that compels us, or a craft that inspires us, we’re all looking for those goals and experiences that give our lives true meaning — a purpose.
But when your dreamy purpose gets challenged by the tough hurdles of reality, your entire life — your choices, your values, your very sense of self — can suddenly take a hit. So how do you keep going when your purpose starts to suck? What do you do when the one thing that gives you meaning also makes you miserable? Listen, learn, and enjoy as we find out together in this episode!
To dive even deeper into what you should do when you find your purpose making you miserable instead of encouraging you to excel, make sure to read this episode’s companion article here: How to Keep Going When Your Purpose Makes You Miserable by Jordan Harbinger.
Please Scroll Down for Featured Resources and Transcript!
Sign up for Six-Minute Networking — our free networking and relationship development mini course — at jordanharbinger.com/course!
We all have a love affair with the silver screen. Listen in as Chuck Bryant talks with your favorite people about their favorite movies on the Movie Crush podcast here!
THANKS, GABRIEL MIZRAHI!
If you enjoyed this session with Gabriel Mizrahi, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources from This Episode:
- How to Keep Going When Your Purpose Makes You Miserable by Jordan Harbinger.
- What I Learned Spending the Day in a Maximum-Security Prison by Jordan Harbinger
- Struggling to Find Your Purpose? Do This Instead. by Jordan Harbinger
- Tom Bilyeu | The Secret to Making Powerful Friends, TJHS 133
- It’s Time to Quit the ‘Motivation Porn’ and Get Serious About Success by Daniel DiPiazza, Entrepreneur
- 6 Things I Learned From Charles Bukowski by James Altucher, HuffPost
- Mark Manson | Channeling Hope, Choosing Problems, and Changing Values, TJHS 198
- Stacy Schiff, The Art of Biography No. 6 by Ruth Franklin, The Paris Review
- Robert Greene | What You Need to Know about the Laws of Human Nature, TJHS 117
- Post Office: A Novel by Charles Bukowski
- OkDork.com | Noah Kagan’s Blog About Marketing and More
- Mark Zuckerberg is Coding Again by Phil Johnson, ITworld
[Featured image adapted from an original by Brendan Church]