Nir Eyal (@nireyal) is a behavioral designer who helps companies design products that move people, and helps people design their own behavior using the principles of consumer psychology. He is the author of Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products and Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life. This is Nir’s second appearance on the show (check out his first time here).
What We Discuss with Nir Eyal:
- Why time management is quite literally pain management, and the time you plan to waste is not wasted time.
- How the issues caused by technology today aren’t dissimilar to the issues caused by technology that vexed Aristotle and Socrates thousands of years ago.
- Why you’ll probably find the popular advice to try digital detox as a way to rid yourself of technology’s influence over your life about as effective as a fad diet.
- The damage caused by accepting the media’s spin on technology as a pervasive addiction over which we have no control, and what we can do to get the best of these tools without letting them get the best of us.
- How to nurture your child’s healthy relationship with technology by empowering them with an understanding of its opportunity costs.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
Getting what you want in life is about more than knowing what to do. It’s also about actually doing those things we know we should do, as well as making sure we don’t do the things we know we shouldn’t. In short, to live the lives we want, we need to learn how to be — as today’s guest would say — indistractable.
On this episode we talk to returning guest Nir Eyal, author of Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life. In this conversation, we’ll tackle modern time management, the effects of smartphone dependence on our love lives, technology as a symptom rather than a cause of childhood attention deficits, and what it takes to become indistractable in the 21st century. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Zoom video conferencing lets you connect, face-to-face with anyone — across town or around the world — with flawless video, clear audio, and instant sharing of files through any device. Visit Zoom online and set up a free account today!
Better Help offers affordable, online counseling at your convenience. If you’re coping with depression, stress, anxiety, addiction, or any number of issues, you’re not alone. Talk with a licensed professional therapist for 10 percent off your first month at betterhelp.com/jordan!
BizCounsel provides you with your own business attorney on call and gets you real legal work done for a fraction of what it would normally cost. Get your first month of BizCounsel for free when you go to BizCounsel.com/jordan!
Borderlands 3 lets you shoot and loot your way through a mayhem-fueled adventure and gives you the chance to save the galaxy from a fanatical threat this September 13th! Pre-order now at Borderlands.com. (Rated M for Mature.)
UNTUCKit makes casual shirts that are designed to be worn comfortably on the outside of your waistband without looking sloppy. Go to untuckit.com or visit one of the 50 stores across the US and Canada and use promo code JORDAN at checkout for 20 percent off your first purchase!
More About This Show
Order Indistractable from Nir’s link here to claim your exclusive bonuses like the Indistractable Supplemental Workbook full of exercises to improve concentration and control your attention, the Basics of Becoming Indistractable Course, and the List of Nir’s Favorite Indistractable Tools!
THANKS, NIR EYAL!
If you enjoyed this session with Nir Eyal, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources from This Episode:
- Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life by Nir Eyal with Julie Li
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products by Nir Eyal with Ryan Hoover
- Nir Eyal | How to Manage Distraction in a Digital Age, TJHS 48
- Nir Eyal’s Website
- Nir Eyal at Facebook
- Nir Eyal at Twitter
- Nir Eyal at Instagram
- Nir Eyal at LinkedIn
- The Oura Smart Ring
- Time You Enjoy Wasting is Not Wasted Time, Quote Investigator
- How Freud’s Pleasure Principle Works, Verywell Mind
- Alternate Readings of Aristotle on Akrasia, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Conquer Distractions With This Simple Chart, Nir & Far
- Antigone by Sophocles
- YouVersion Bible App Celebrates 10th Anniversary, YouVersion
- Paul Virilio Interview, Vice
- Learned Helplessness, You Are Not So Smart
- Should Your Two-Year-Old Be Using an iPad? Time
- Parents Smashing Devices, YouTube
- Apple Screen Time
- The Intrinsic Motivation of Richard Ryan and Edward Deci, American Psychological Association
- Self Determination Theory
- The Kindergarten Testing Mess, The Washington Post
- California Achievement Tests (CAT), Encyclopedia.com
- American Graffiti
- Happy Days
- Peter Gray, The Evolution Institute
- Voice Dream
- eero Home Wi-Fi System
- Shane Snow | How to Work Together Without Falling Apart, TJHS 51
- Shane Snow | Cognitive Self-Defense Against Intellectual Dishonesty, TJHS 202
- Inbox Pause