What We Discuss with Tommy Caldwell:
- How the confidence Tommy gained from climbing since age three transformed him from a shy, scrawny kid into a world-class athlete, author, and someone who can be interviewed on podcasts without fear.
- Tommy’s tried-and-true formula for getting better at coping with scary, potentially life-threatening situations.
- How climbing is part endurance, part puzzle, and part chess strategy.
- The differences between sport climbing, free climbing, and free soloing.
- What it’s like to get kidnapped by rebel extremists in the mountains of Kyrgyzstan when you’re just trying to do a little climbing with your friends.
- And much more…
Like this show? Please leave us a review here — even one sentence helps! Consider including your Twitter handle so we can thank you personally!
On June 6th, 2018, The Push: A Climber’s Search for the Path author Tommy Caldwell and his climbing partner Alex Honnold scaled the sheer granite face of Yosemite’s El Capitan in one hour, 58 minutes, and seven seconds. It was a record ascent by way of The Nose, El Capitan’s nearly vertical route of 2,900 feet — once considered an impossible climb, typically taking days for most who have succeeded since it was first conquered in 1958. Tommy also ascended El Capitan’s Dawn Wall in 2015 with Kevin Jorgeson in a then-record 19 days, and has undertaken numerous solo free climbs and other feats of strength over the years — the majority without the use of his left index finger, which was mostly severed in a table saw accident in 2001.
In this episode we talk to Tommy about how an extreme childhood with a father who also climbed mountains prepared him for this life, what happened when he and three other climbers were kidnapped and held for six days in Central Asian Kyrgyzstan in 2000 before making a daring escape, and how an obsession with a craft and pursuing it to mastery makes Tommy world class (if not the best in the world) at what he does. Listen, learn, and enjoy!
Please Scroll down for Full Show Notes and Featured Resources!
Are you trying to hire the right person for your business, but the best candidates keep slipping away? Let ZipRecruiter — the fastest way to hire great people — help you screen only the best at ziprecruiter.com/jordan!
FIGS knows nurses, doctors, dentists, and other awesome medical professionals deserve to wear scrubs that are antimicrobial and comfortable! Agree? Head to wearFIGS.com and enter code JORDAN at checkout for 15 percent off your first purchase!
BizCounsel provides you with your own business attorney on call and gets you real legal work done for a fraction of what it would normally cost. Get your first month of BizCounsel for free when you go to BizCounsel.com/jordan!
Borderlands 3 lets you shoot and loot your way through a mayhem-fueled adventure and gives you the chance to save the galaxy from a fanatical threat this September 13th! Pre-order now at Borderlands.com. (Rated M for Mature.)
Better Help offers affordable, online counseling at your convenience. If you’re coping with depression, stress, anxiety, addiction, or any number of issues, you’re not alone. Talk with a licensed professional therapist for 10 percent off your first month at betterhelp.com/jordan!
THANKS, TOMMY CALDWELL!
If you enjoyed this session with Tommy Caldwell, let him know by clicking on the link below and sending him a quick shout out at Twitter:
And if you want us to answer your questions on one of our upcoming weekly Feedback Friday episodes, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources from This Episode:
- The Push: A Climber’s Search for the Path by Tommy Caldwell
- The Dawn Wall
- Tommy Caldwell’s Website
- Tommy Caldwell at Instagram
- Tommy Caldwell at Facebook
- Tommy Caldwell at Twitter
- Two Die During Wingsuit Flight In Yosemite, Vocativ
- David Roeske | The View from the Top Is Breathtaking, TJHS 235
- El Capitan, Yosemite Mariposa County Tourism Bureau
- El Capitan’s Dawn Wall: Coverage of the Ascent at Yosemite, The New York Times
- The Wright Stuff: Dirtbagging Is Dead, Climbing
- Types of Rock Climbing Explained, REI Co-Op
- More than 100 Skiers Died in the Alps This Winter. Was It Just a Bad Year or Is This the New Norm? Vice
- Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell Set Historic Speed Record on El Capitan, National Geographic
- El Capitan Climbers Who Fell to Their Deaths Were Experienced, Family and Friends Say, ABC News
- Climbers Recount Kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan, National Geographic
- Rock Climber Tommy Caldwell Recalls Pushing His Gun-Toting Captor off a Cliff, Sports Illustrated
- Over the Edge: The True Story of the Kidnap and Escape of Four Climbers in Central Asia by Greg Child
- Black Diamond Cliff Cabana Double Portaledge
- Campus Board Training: The Complete Beginner’s Guide, 99 Boulders
- Mind Pump Media